For the brisket 3 tbsp. brown sugar 1 tbsp. kosher salt ½ tsp. ground cumin ½ tsp. ground fennel seed 1 tbsp. ground black pepper 2 lb. first-cut brisket 2 c. tomato juice 1 orange peel 1 c. rice wine vinegar 1 c. beer
1. Combine the first five ingredients to make a rub. Coat the brisket. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat a Dutch oven to 400°. Roast the brisket uncovered for 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 225° and add tomato juice, orange peel, vinegar, and beer.
3. Cover and continue to cook until the meat easily tears apart, about 90 minutes.
For the apple-jicama slaw 2 Granny Smith apples with skin, julienned 1 lg. jicama, peeled and julienned 1 m. red onion, sliced very thin Zest and juice of 3 limes 3 tbsp. olive oil
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt to taste.
For the salsa 1 c. cherry tomatoes 1 jalapeno with seeds 1 md. red onion, chopped ½ bunch cilantro, roughly chopped ½ bunch basil, roughly chopped Zest and juice of 3 limes 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Add ingredients to food processor and pulse to combine, leaving the mixture chunky. Season with salt to taste.
2. To assemble tacos, lightly toast tortillas in a dry pan until they are pliable. Add salsa first, then brisket, and top with apple-jicama slaw. Garnish with cilantro and lime juice.