In Episode #113 Ari sits down with author and brand storyteller Mathew Turner to discuss how mistakes, when used properly, become launch-pads for success. During their chat, Matthew shares some of his most important mistakes, the associated lessons learned and the origins of The Successful Mistake.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 17:34 – Introduction of Mathew Turner of Turndog
- 18:13 – What it means to Matthew to be a storyteller
- 18:50 – Though he’s an author, Matthew’s background is in marketing
- 20:15 – Sharing the stories about a company’s people, ideals or heritage makes for effective marketing
- 20:48 – Defining the origins ofThe Successful Mistake
- 22:29 – It’s only a mistake if you refuse to acknowledge that it is one and fail to learn from it
- 23:20 – Matthew shares one of his bigger entrepreneurial mistakes
- 26:00 – Make sure you’re connected (aka “on the same page”) with your clients
- 27:30 – Avoid working with a client until you’ve put a process for doing business in place
- 28:43 – Communicating your needs and expectations effectively in a business partnership is hugely important
- 30:37 – Matthew defines his storytelling methodology
- 31:45 – In order to tell a brilliant brand story, you have to unearth the history of the people behind the product or cause
- 32:49 – Matthew tends to work with manufacturers and builders more than any other type of client
- 34:13 – The future of Turndog…what’s next?
- 36:15 – Matthew’s Top 3 Tips to Be More Effective:
- 36:40 – Don’t overlook the value of meeting people…reach out and involve yourself in the lives of others
- 37:19 – It’s not about quantity, it’s about quality
- 38:04 – Always take a step back and ask yourself: “Am I asking too much?” and “What can I give back?”
- 39:31 – Turndog.co
7 Key Points:
- Telling an effective story about the people behind the product makes for effective marketing.
- If you can acknowledge it and learn from it then it’s not a mistake…it’s a lesson.
- Establish a process for doing business before actually doing it.
- Learn to communicate your needsand wants clearly and effectively
- Success in life is intertwined with your willingness to meet and connect with people.
- Quality will always trump quantity
- Don’t forget to give back; Ask how you can contribute to the lives of those around you and your community.
- Snipboard – A keyboard app for the iPhone that can be filled with customized snippets.
- ZANO – A Kickstarter campaign for an autonomous, intelligent drone for “selfies”
- Werewolf – A party game designed for 7-20 people featuring various characters and roles.
- Plan V – A Kickstarter campaign for a failsafe iPhone charger, possible the smallest portable iPhone charger ever.
- Revert.io – Backup for your cloud based applications.
- eAngle.me – A company that will improve and correct the grammar on your emails. All reviews are done by a human user, not a bot.
- Bondic – A plastic gel that can be used as a bonding agent…it requires UV light to set.
- Carousel – A photo manager for Dropbox