In Episode #138 Ari speaks with Andy Murphy, a master of NLP – Neuro-Linguistic Programming – and mental-conditioning coach for a variety of successful athletes, business owners and entrepreneurs. During this week’s show, Ari and Andy talk about the potency of personal mental persuasion and define what makes NLP such a powerful tool for success.
Watch Ari bring the lessons of Less Doing to some of Europe’s most famous cities including Barcelona, Munich, Amsterdam and Budapest for the 2015 European Growth Summit. Ari will be joined by fellow masters of entrepreneurship Steve Martin, Director of Influence at Work in the UK, and Verne Harnish, founder and CEO of Gazelles.
On June 18th, join Ari at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in b-e-a-utiful Vancouver, B.C. as he takes the microphone for EO Vancouver. Enjoy this unique opportunity to watch Ari candidly discuss life as an Author, Speaker, Teacher and – most importantly – Achievement Architect.
Want to get access to the FREE Less Doing Ringtone? Click here to Tweet about our live event and get instant access to the ringtone created by our very own Fantastic Felix!
The Less Doing LIVE Event in NYC is less than six months away! The best minds in business and productivity are joining Ari in his hometown of New York City to share their tips, strategies and secrets for success. Visit LessDoingLive.com to learn more about this fantastic opportunity running from May 1st – 3rd.
Looking for an opportunity to see Ari speak live somewhere on the west coast?—Look no further! On April 29th and 30th, Ari will be featured at the Mastermind Talks event in Napa, California. To learn more about this opportunity to watch Ari “Optimize, Outsource and Automate” in wine country, click here.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 19:53 – Introduction of Andy Murphy
- 20:30 – Andy defines NLP, what it is and how he got into it
- 21:51 – NLP is really about retraining the unconscious patterns of the mind
- 22:15 – How were you thinking, feeling and acting during moments when you were performing your very best?
- 23:20 – Andy defines Anchoring; how a smell, taste, sound, etc. takes you back to a specific place or moment.
- 24:15 – Anything can be used as an Anchor and there are both positive and negative versions
- 26:05 – How a baseball player approaches the plate before an at-bat is an Anchor
- 26:25 – Neurology is like a muscle; the more it’s worked and trained the better it performs
- 27:20 – The art of creating an Anchor
- 30:10 – NLP doesn’t just impact how we behave internally, it changes how we behave externally
- 30:45 – Defining a “State”
- 30:55 – How you’re thinking, breathing, projecting, etc. is a State
- 31:15 – We all have different States that we use for different situations and for different persons
- 32:20 – “Any road will get you there if you don’t know where you’re going”
- 32:55 – More than anything, Andy gives his clients a way to control their minds
- 33:55 – The main disconnect(s) between where entrepreneurs want to be and where they are
- 33:57 – Overwhelm, stress, anxiety
- 34:55 – “We get boxed in by the boundary conditions of our thinking”
- 35:48 – Self-sabotage is more often than not a consequence of our Flight-or-Flight reflex
- 36:30 – Your brain uses a filter for the conscious mind, just like GMAIL uses a filter for your email
- 39:10 – Some of the biggest LEAPS Andy has seen his clients make
- 41:29 – How Andy applies his teaching to his own life
- 43:03 – A morning routine where he visualizes the outcome of the day
- 43:20 – Works off of a calendar, creating mental states for specific situations
- 44:05 – Andy’s Top 3 Tips to Be More Effective:
- 44:13 – Be kind to yourself—You can only do your best each day
- 44:45 – Start to pay attention to what you’re doing when life is on-point
- 45:37 – Get to the end of the night and give yourself a moment of reflection
- 47:40 – Mindset By Design on iTunes or AndyMurphy.biz
7 Key Points:
- The patterns of the unconscious mind are more influential and important than we commonly think.
- NLP fosters both internal and external behavioral change.
- The brain is a muscle—the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.
- Any road will do if you don’t know where you’re going---Identify where you want to go first and choosing the road will be easier.
- Self-sabotage is generally a consequence of our fight-or-flight instincts.
- The biggest boundary between where entrepreneurs want to be and where they are is stress/overwhelm.
- Practice self-kindness—You can only do your best each day.
- Caribou Skin – A study from Warrior Publications what found Caribou Skin is the best clothing available for protection against the elements
- Cognitoys – A Kickstarter campaign for internet-connected toys that can provide interactive learning
- Where’s Waldo? – Someone figured out an algorithm to help people locate Waldo in the Where’s Waldo books
- Gluten Sensitivity –Washington Post article that wants people to consider FOD map sensitivity first
- Hobby Club – Year-long adventure that tries to bring 12 new hobbies into your life, one month at a time for $12 dollars
- SpeedLancer – High-speed freelancing services, featuring a 4-hour delivery guarantee
- LawGeex.com – Automatic system designed to analyze a legal document in just a few seconds to help people understand contacts before they sign them
- Calvin App – Nick’s new app, Nick will also be at the LessDoing Live Event.