In Episode #186 Ari interviews Jason Zook, a man so interesting we can’t do his story justice with a summary introduction. This is simply an interview you’ll need to hear to believe.
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 17:32 – Non-Introduction of Jason Zook
- 18:12 – Jason is a man of five last names
- 20:08 – How Jason started selling his last name
- 21:09 – Within 24 hours, Jason had been offered over $33K for his last name
- 22:25 – The changing of the last name process—it’s not a guarantee, the court can say NO
- 23:53 – The second time Jason changed his last name
- 25:30 – Long story short? Jason made just under $100K in two years just by selling his last name
- 26:25 – I’ll Wear Your Shirt
- 28:40 – We literally walk around advertising brands – for free – every day
- 29:55 – Building a social media page or a website?—Unless you tell people it’s there, you might as well put a billboard up in the desert—No one will find it if you don’t
- 30:05 – Use friends and family as an entrepreneurial outreach resources
- 31:00 – Jason is the man behind Bump Sale
- 32:12 – Going from $1,000,000 in revenue to $100,000 in debt
- 32:38 – Sometimes scale isn’t what your business needs
- 32:55 – Focus on maximizing profits and minimizing expenses
- 34:15 – Getting a $75K advance for a book, while standing in line for a burrito
- 35:45 – Publishing is old world which makes earning money hard
- 36:45 – SponsorMyBook.com
- 37:15 – Jason probably sent about 5K emails (literally) to get the book made
- 38:44 – Sometimes you just need to dive in, even if you don’t know what you’re doing
- 40:35 – If what you’re doing isn’t congruent with who you are—stop doing it!
- 41:27 – BuyMyFuture.com
- 44:10 – Follow the 90/10 rule when it comes to emails
- 44:44 – Jason’s Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:
- 44:53 – You don’t get what you don’t ask for
- 45:00 – Feedback is dangerous
- 45:25 – Figure out how to be more creative
- 46:25 – http://www.BuyMyFuture.com
5 Key Points:
- Creativity will lead you to success.
- Scale isn’t always what a business needs to succeed.
- Sometimes it’s better to jump right into a project and try, even if you have no idea what you’re doing.
- Family and friends are your best means for entrepreneurial outreach.
- Believe it or not, the court can actually deny a change of name petition.
- The Less Doing WODcast – A FULLY AUTOMATED daily workout routine brought to you for FREE by Dave Rael and Ari
- KeyTouch – Use the ID feature on the iPhone to unlock websites, bypass website passwords, etc.
- Elf Worker – Send small programing jobs via email and get a reply in 24 hours
- Marker – Screenshotting with annotations with seamless integration to a variety of programs
- Talko – An app for team calling that integrates with Slack
- Grow Sumo –
- Like Bucket – Trip planning with different buckets for travel plans
- Startup Retreats – An AirBNB for startups that want a place to conduct a retreat
- Kontrol App – Control a NEST thermostat from the Apple Watch
- 5 Natural Sleep Aids – From Mercola, an article about 5 natural sleep aids
- Developer on Fire – Dave Rael’s budding podcast