In Episode #190 Ari interviews Guillermo Miotti of LEGO Serious Play, a consultancy designed to help multinational businesses improve internal communications and processes through creative, LEGO-based problem solving exercises.
This week’s episode of the Less Doing Podcast is brought to you by JustWorks, an innovative company striving to make payroll, benefits, and compliance management a seamless and stress-free process.
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 0:32- Introduction of JustWorks and Isaac Oats
- 0:39 – Payroll is obviously complicated and scalable
- 0:55 – Payroll is unfair for smaller businesses
- 01:15 – What JustWorks does
- 01:35 – JustWorks is built to work with employees more so than contractors
- 06:40 – The Less Doing Mastermind program is no more
- 07:35 – Calvin App has finally gone LIVE
- 10:40 – Many soldiers are NOT ready to enter the job market
- 11:40 – LDVA has opened up the hiring—if you are looking for a new opportunity, or know someone who is, send an email to Jobs@LessDoists.com
- 13:00 – LDVA.com
- 27:05 – Introduction of Guillermo Miotti of LEGO Serious Play
- 27:36 – Guillermo’s background as a psychologist and HR Specialist in Argentina
- 28:28 – Quickly became a “change management” expert
- 29:45 – How LEGO determined LEGOs can be effective in the workplace
- 32:28 – Testing included bouts at MIT and NASA
- 33:12 – LEGO Education is a HUGE business unit
- 33:45 – It’s all about being OPEN to learning
- 34:00 – What a “play” session looks like
- 34:20 – Start by DEFINING the problem
- 35:35 – Ask a question, provide an answer, analyze the answer, reflect as a team
- 36:30 – When we are using our hands to play, 100% of our attention is on the task at hand
- 37:55 – LEGO Serious Play engages EVERYONE in the room, not just the traditional decision makers
- 39:40 – Our hands share an intimate neural connection with our brains
- 40:32 – The LEGO sets are specifically designed for customers and are not available in stores
- 41:22 – Guillermo works (primarily) for multinationals
- 42:17 – If you OR your organization created the problem, you also have the capacity to solve it
- 42:45 – We don’t normally conceptualize in 3D
- 44:30 – Storymaking (not telling) is undervalued
- 45:32 – Part of the beauty of the program is the simplicity of LEGOs
- 45:45 – Guillermo’s Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:
- 45:56 – Be aware of what drives you—what is your passion?
- 46:21 – Have fun—PLAY!
- 46:35 – Try to create something new with others
5 Key Points:
- Define your problems explicitly—if you don’t you can’t solve them.
- Find beauty in simplicity.
- “Get in there with your hands!”—our hands share serious neural connections with our brains, helping us to think more effectively.
- Don’t just storytell, storymake.
- If you created a problem you also have the capacity to solve it.
- The Less Doing WODcast – A FULLY AUTOMATED daily workout routine brought to you for FREE by Dave Rael and Ari
- Call 1-844-i-do-less – Toll-Free number, Press “0” to speak with a Less Doing Certified Coach
- Text DOLESS – Text DOLESS to 33733
- Washing Dishes for Mindfulness – Washing dishes by hand is the first step on the path to improved mindfulness
- OneGo – Unlimited flights, nationwide
- AppStarter – Simple, iOS app development made easy
- Protein for Vegans – 20 unique sources of protein for Vegan
- Developing Emotional Intelligence – EI is a skill that you can cultivate and is more correlated with success than anything else—watch TV Dramas? You probably have high EI
- Flip7 – Printstagram for videos
- Jumpstrtr – Crowdsourced Problem Solving for Crowdfunded Startups
- Vague Goals Into Actionable Tasks – From Lifehacker, a tool designed to help people take vague ideas and turn them into actionable tasks
- Sell it Easy – Sell your stuff with ease
- Time Travel – Uber in advance
- Gophr – London’s premiere currier service
- Oral.IV – Advanced rehydration supplementation
- Cut Stress, Cut Healthcare – From Time Magazine—programmatic steps to reduce stress can drastically cut healthcare costs
- Brain Scans as Fingerprints – Brain scans can tell us more than we thing, in fact, they are so unique they can be used like fingerprints
- Focus Booster – This utilizes the Pomodoro technique, combined with tracking to help people boost focus
- MakerArm – The first robotic arm that makes anything, anywhere