In Episode #198 Ari interviews Brian Scudamore, a Canadian/American-born serial entrepreneur, best known as the Founder and CEO of international junk removal franchise 1-800-GOT-JUNK? Listen as Ari and Brian discuss the three fundamental practices for a strong business.
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 02:47 – Daily meditation podcast episode 318.
- 19:31 – Brian Scudamore joins the show.
- 20:06 – 1-800-GOT-JUNK started when Brian was looking for a way to pay for college.
- 21:24 – Brian’s always been inspired by franchising as a model and knew early on that it would be a path he chose for his company.
- 3:03 – When Brian was first starting out, what set him apart from other junk haulers was customer service; he went above and beyond.
- 23:42 – He eventually had a vision that he wanted to create a FedEx of junk removal with clean trucks, friendly uniformed drivers, and upfront rates.
- 24:14 – “The way you do anything is the way you do everything.”
- 26:00 – 61.3% of the things 1-800-GOT-JUNK hauls away gets reused, recycled, or donated.
- 26:46 – Brian describes some of the strange things 1-800-GOT-JUNK has found or hauled away.
- 28:09 – The company outsources the recycling and reusing of what they haul away. They focus on what they do well already.
- 28:32 – Brian talks about his two-in-the-box model of leadership.
- 29:46 – Brian’s role is to look for new opportunities and maintain the vision of the company’s customer experience. His role is culture, his co-leader is execution.
- 30:23 – The company has about 300 employees between two offices.
- 31:02 – Brian attributes his company’s growth through strong leadership.
- 33:15 – Brian’s Top 3 Tips to be More Effective
- 33:24 – Have a strong vision or a ‘painted picture’ so you know where you’re going.
- 34:38 – Make sure you have good people in the right positions working for you—compensate for your weaknesses by hiring people with the right strengths.
- 35:02 – Have documented processes in your business on how to do certain things such as how to price jobs or how to answer phone calls in the call center.
- 36:08 – Brian discusses an example of how a system has been implemented in his moving business.
- 37:27 – Brian’s employees are trained through a combination of methods.
- 38:35 – O2Ebrands.com
4 Key Points:
- If you don’t have a highly unique product, use unbeatable customer service to help you establish leverage over your competition.
- Seek out new opportunities that are already in-line with your existing business vision.
- Ensure you have the right people working for you – compensate for weaknesses by hiring people with strengths in areas that aren’t your forte.
- It’s important to know your destination and how to get there. Have a strong vision for your goals.
- 1-800-GOT-JUNK – Brian Scudamore’s junk removal company.
- Call 1-844-i-do-less – Toll-Free number, Press “0” to speak with a Less Doing Certified Coach
- Text DOLESS – Text DOLESS to 33733