Special Episode 1
In Special Episode #1 Ari sits down with Justin Mendelson of The Perfect Burpee, a revolutionary new personal exercise mat designed to help serious athletes get the most out of their workouts. During the call Ari asks Justin about the concept behind The Perfect Burpee and the difficulties in starting a small, production-based business.
The Less Doing Live Event!
The Less Doing Live Event in NYC is less than six months away! The best minds in business and productivity are joining Ari in his hometown of New York City to share their tips, strategies and secrets for success. Visit LessDoingLive.com to learn more about this fantastic opportunity running from May 1st – 3rd.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:57 – Introduction of Justin Mendelson
- 02:12 – Justin defines HackFit
- 03:55 – The origins of The Perfect Burpee
- 05:10 – Yoga mats are not conducive to high-intensity training
- 05:37 – Explaining what makes The Perfect Burpee better than other exercise mats available
- 08:20 – To evaluate mat materials for The Perfect Burpee, Justin did a number of things:
- 08:30 – He ordered every single variety of yoga mat available on Amazon.com
- 09:25 – He contacted a number of Asian manufacturing firms to see what materials they had available
- 09:45 – Panjiva; a website designed to allow consumers to look up the overseas manufacturer of any domestically sold product
- 10:30 – Panjiva was ultimately the resource that enabled Justin to expedite his material research
- 11:20 – The process of actually getting the mats manufactured
- 12:58 – The mats are manufactured in Taiwan
- 13:03 – Justin explains the very practical reason behind his decision to set up a Kickstarter campaign
- 14:05 – To do the Kickstarter process well, planning is necessary
- 14:38 – Self-imposed development constraints helped The Perfect Burpee get off the ground with minimal, pre-Kickstarter investment
- 15:00 – Self-imposed restraints also fostered creativity
- 15:35 – Making the prototype and using it to test the consumer market
- 16:25 – Justin used free coupons for Google AdWords and Facebook AdWords to get the most out of their insanely thin starting budget
- 17:44 – The price-point of a Kickstarer is unbelievably important; it can make or break the campaign
- 17:55 – Conduct a pricing analysis to make sure the price-point is competitive
- 21:33 – The Perfect Burpee Kickstarter launches on 1/14/2015
- 22:10 – The opening 24 hours of any Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign are the most important
- 25:05 – Hitting the funding goal is key to having a successful Kickstarter; it acts as a positive feedback loop
- 26:40 – PerfectBurpee.com
5 Key Points:
- Find a way to make your passion a business.
- Panjiva is an incredible resource for anyone interested in figuring out where products are made overseas.
- The key to having a successful Kickstarter campaign is intelligent planning.
- Find the right price-point for the product being sold, otherwise customers will look elsewhere.
- To ensure your Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign is a success, set a modest funding goal and do everything possible to make sure the first 24-hours are BIG!
- Less Doing Live Event – The Less Doing LIVE Event in NYC is less than six months away! The best minds in business and productivity are joining Ari in his hometown of New York City to share their tips, strategies and secrets for success. Visit LessDoingLive.com to learn more about this fantastic opportunity running from May 1st – 3rd.