In Episode #202 Ari shares the Less Doing Podcast with Mike Goldman of Performance Breakthrough, a company that helps mid-sized businesses achieve dramatic growth through leadership development, and habit/culture optimization. Listen as Ari and Mike discuss the importance of culture, core values, and the danger of over-emphasizing company strategy.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 13:01 – Introduction of Mike Goldman of Performance Breakthrough
- 13:18 – Mike describes his background
- 13:30 – First 17 years of career involved consulting for Fortune 500 companies
- 14:00 – How Mike got into Gazelles
- 15:32 – The impetus for creating the Performance Breakthrough book
- 17:17 – Culture eats strategy for lunch
- 17:43 – Finding, keeping, and leveraging A-players
- 18:02 – Kongo Gumi
- 19:14 – Creating a sustainable culture
- 19:52 – Define what you want your culture to look like—don’t let them evolve organically—define them early on
- 21:06 – Mike defines what some non-negotiable behaviors are
- 21:52 – The power of continuous leaning
- 23:18 – Are you committed to firing anyone for violating your core values?
- 24:00 – Are you willing to take a financial hit in order to maintain your core values?
- 24:15 – Are you currently practicing your core values?
- 25:14 – Mike talks about leveraging positives
- 26:28 – When you focus on being a well-rounded individual, you’re focusing on improving your weaknesses which is highly inefficient
- 27:18 – You’re A-Players have the greatest room for growth
- 28:46 – http://www.performance-breakthrough.com
- 29:22 – 201-301-2841
5 Key Points:
- Don’t just absentmindedly select the core values for your business—really sit down and iron them out.
- Create an environment of continuous learning.
- To generate success and growth, focus on positives, not negatives…strengths, not weaknesses.
- When engineering your company culture, engineer it with sustainability in mind.
- Always remember that your “A-Players” are the ones with the most room for improvement.
- SmartRope – An intelligent jump rope designed to help you optimize fitness
- Mummo – Helps you help people who simply are NOT tech savvy with a simple text
- 6 Secrets to be More Creative – From Barking Up the Wrong Tree, an article with tips to improve creativity
- TripDelta – Guarantees the cheapest trip possible, but not the most convenient
- Total Recall Sounds Great – An article from I-Fing-Love-Science talking about the risks of having a memory that’s too good (aka you need to forget)
- Call 1-844-i-do-less – Toll-Free number, Press “0” to speak with a Less Doing Certified Coach
- Text DOLESS – Text DOLESS to 33733
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.