In Episode #208 Ari welcomes Maneesh Sethi, founder of Pavlok—a device that uses electrical shocks—to train you out of your bad habits—back to the Less Doing Podcast. Listen as Maneesh and Ari talk about the tricks of habit-forming and habit-changing, as well as how strategically formed habits can be the foundation of a more productive life.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 22:57 – Introduction of Maneesh
- 23:28 – Explanation of Pavlok
- 24:56 – How aversion works - training the reptile brain
- 26:07 – Reducing cravings
- 26:36 - Breaking bad habits
- 27:15 – Forming a good habit
- 28:45 – It’s easier to break a bad habit than form a new one
- 29:40 - Using the Pavlok as a habit-forming tool
- 30:50 - A zapping alarm clock
- 31:55 – Waking up one street before you get home
- 32:50 - Available apps: Pavlok Break Bad Habits, and Pavlok Alarm Clock
- 33:50 – Having a jolt of adrenaline when you get up to put your kids to bed
- 35:00 – Making Pavlok work with the RescueTime app
- 35:34 – Gaining an hour a day is important: having the right elements in that hour doubly so
- 36:30 – What’s Maneesh using the app for right now?
- 37:00 – Getting over an ex
- 37:43 – An user identifying the triggers for her depression
- 39:20 – The zap is as much an awareness creator as an aversion trainer
- 40:28 – Using Pavlok with someone else
- 41:10 – Accountability partners
- 41:36– Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:
- Sleep on time; wake up early; eat healthily and be fit
- Begin forming habits in a planned way
- Lay out your apartment to maximize productivity
- 43:50 – pavlok.com/ari
3 Key Points:
- You can train the reptile part of your brain to break bad habits and change thought patterns.
- Using aversion and interruption techniques helps to make you aware of triggers for your habits, and change them more quickly.
- Gaining extra time in your day is great; using that time for the right things is even better.
- Gmailify – Add Gmail features to your Outlook or Hotmail accounts
- Make Your Life Awesome – An article from Barking Up The Wrong Tree
- Juicing is Bad for You and the Earth – A great article on health from The Daily Beast
- 15 Things Insanely Productive People Do Differently – A different take on a hackneyed topic from Medium
- Smart Moderation – Moderate social media groups automatically
- Portia – A tool to scrape websites visually
- Treat – An app to help you work with a personal nutritionist
- Vocus – Neat tool that lets you manage complex email functions
- Since You've Been Gone – Delivers personalized product updates to users
Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter