In Episode #211 Ari welcomes Catherine Lavery, co-creator of the SELF journal - a mindfulness and planning journal with tens of thousands of backers - to the podcast. Listen as Ari and Catherine talk about goal-setting that works, managing to-do lists and how to achieve the things you want to.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 17:15 – Welcoming Catherine to the show
- 17:30 – The Self Journal - a 13-week goal planner
- 18:20 – A means of breaking down a goal into steps and tracking performance
- 19:00 – Focus on one thing at a time
- 19:40 – Catherine’s own goal-setting
- 20:20 – Taking a huge goal and breaking it down into daily tasks
- 21:50 – How do you choose the right goal for that framework?
- 22:30 – Find an emotional connection to your goal - how will it affect your life?
- 23:30 – The journal: write your goal every day and set targets
- 24:00 – Writing wins at the end of a day
- 24:40 – At the end of the week, reflecting on the goal and progress
- 25:20 – Catherine’s journal page for today
- 27:30 – The importance of checking in, morning and evening
- 28:36 – What’s next? An app?
- 29:00 – Developing products to complement the journal
- 29:50– Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:
- Ask yourself how each ‘to-do’ relates to getting where you want to be
- Know what’s draining for you and what’s energising
- Look at what you’ve achieved
- Work on one goal at a time, and constantly check in with how you’re getting there
- Understand why you want to achieve your goal. What difference will it make in your life? If you don’t have an emotional connection it’s easy to give up.
- Look at what you’ve achieved as well as what’s left to do.
- Goals become achievable when you break them into daily tasks.
- SELF Journal - Journal designed by Catherine to help people achieve their goals
- Watch Your Mind For 5 Minutes - Mindfulness article from Barking up the Wrong Tree
- People making a living from content sharing
- Trim - Manage and cancel subscriptions by text
- Recharge - Book free hotel rooms by the hour
- Prompt App - A bot for everything, controlled via text
Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter