In Episode #213 Ari welcomes Seth Godin, a man who needs no introduction. (Find his blog by typing “Seth G” into Google.) Seth’s a bestselling author, speaker, thinker and doer. Listen as he and Ari talk about becoming more productive, why bigger isn’t better, and how to move past your fear and start doing the work.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 14:30 – Welcoming Seth to the show
- 15:41 – “Where we live is a state of mind”
- 17:40 – Eliminate meetings
- 19:30 – “Meetings are a festival to avoid responsibility”
- 21:10 – Don’t be busy to be busy
- 21:50 – “It can be entirely appropriate to be a meaningful specific”
- 23:00 – “Just because it’s important to you, doesn’t mean it should be on my agenda”
- 23:20 – Seth writes every day
- 24:50 – Writing forces you to have a point of view. That makes you meaningful.
- 25:50 – “A freelancer gets paid when she works. An entrepreneur builds a business bigger than herself”
- 27:00 – Seth is currently a freelancer - “I do all the work I get paid for”
- 27:40 – “You can’t do both at once...decide what you’re good at”
- 31:10 – “It doesn’t scale - so what? Bigger doesn’t have to be better”
- 33:10 – Seth sees his job as noticing and engaging with patterns
- 34:30 – “I’m always writing with my head and sometimes I’m writing with my fingers”
- 35:20 – Productivity tips help. But 90% is merely doing the work.
- 37:40– Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:
- Commit to ongoing education. Learn how to engage, connect, think and speak.
- Create a culture around you that reinforces the effectiveness you seek.
- Commit to strategy, not tactics.
- Entrepreneurs create something bigger than themselves. Freelancers turn themselves into something big. You can’t be both at once.
- Do the work. Write every day. Learn how to connect, engage, and make change happen. It’s as simple - simple, not easy - as that
- Eliminate meetings. Communicate by email or one-on-one.
- Look for truth, even when it’s difficult and frightening. Notice the world. Decide what kind of person you want to be.
- Enflux - A suit that gives real-time feedback on your workout form
- Cola - A text app that lets you carry out tasks like surveys - in one message
- Video Slam - Make a movie from photos and videos in your camera roll
- Keezel - Access American web content when you’re out of the country
- The Leader - Feedback on satisfaction and leadership
- If You're A Real Grownup Minivans Are Cool - Article from Jalopnik
- Deep Gram - Transforms transcription by letting you search audio files for keywords
Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter