In Episode #214 Ari welcome Vern Harnish - founder of EO, CEO of Gazelles, and author of Scaling Up. Vern’s a strategic planning expert who helps companies to scale up successfully. Listen in as Ari and Vern discuss delegation, hyper-focus, and how ‘scale-ups’ are going to replace ‘start-ups’ as drivers of business.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 16:28 – Welcoming Vern to the show
- 16:50 – CEO of Gazelles - a firm that helps growing firms to scale up
- 18:20 – “Nailing strategy can cover a lot of execution flaws”
- 19:20 – “I would define ‘scaling’ as growing at 20% to 100% per year”
- 20:00 – “We look at 4 scale areas: talent, strategy, execution and practice
- 20:40 – Communication and execution are the main challenges
- 22:20 – “What’s the biggest problem people face when they can’t scale?”
- 22:40 – CEOs should spend 4 of 5 days on market-facing activities
- 23:30 – Talented people often struggle to delegate. People can’t let go.
- 24:30 – “We’re big on gamifying companies”
- 24:50 – Currently working on 4 books
- 25:30 – “We want to create the Techstars for scale-ups”
- 26:25 – “Most people’s creativity increases hugely as they age”
- 27:05 – “I think we’ll see a move from start-ups to scale-ups”
- 29:00 – “Become the absolute expert in your niche - you need to hyper-specialise”
- 29:45 – Scaling-up doesn’t have to be about reaching more people - you can focus more tightly and become the absolute master in your field
- 31:52– Top 3 Tips to be More Effective:
- The most leverage comes from people...write down the 25 people that you absolutely need to get on board with your project and start working that list
- Find the tone or two words that you need to own in the mind of the market
- Read Eli Goldratt’s book The Goal
- Visit com for free personal plans and strategic planning help
- Hyper-focus. Find a niche you can absolutely dominate, and own it. Scaling doesn’t have to mean going broader.
- Work on your company, not in your company. Learn to delegate, automate, and outsource so that you can focus on strategy and expansion.
- Your biggest leverage point is people. Write down the people you need behind you, and work on that list.
- Pop Slate 2 - An iPhone case that turns the back of your phone into a 2nd screen
- Nadi - An outfit that corrects your form in real time during exercise
- No More Voice Mail - An app to keep your voice mail box empty
- Card Form - Build a blog from Trello
- Dieterest - Text-based diet coach
Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter