In Episode #219 Ari and Nick share an interview with Sara Gottfried, author of The Hormone Cure. Listen in to hear about how hormone levels affect your mood, health, and energy - and how you can leverage your hormones to improve your life.
Time-stamped Show Notes
- 03:30 - Nick’s latest project has involved using the development platform of Zapier
- 05:40 - The Less Doing bootcamp has some exciting changes coming up - sign up to the Less Doing newsletter to find out more
- 06:45 - The flat rate for VA services is now $129 each month, including 5 free hours
- 07:40 - When you sign up for VA services, you’ll gain unlimited free calls to our Less Doing service
- 09:15 - Interview with Sara Gottfried
- 09:50 - Hormones are extremely significant in our lives
- 10:20 - “Stress is the small hinge that swings big doors”
- 10:57 - If you’re stressed all the time, your stress hormones will be in overproduction
- 12:05 - “Testosterone is important. It’s not just linked to sex drive, it’s linked to all kinds of energy.”
- 13:45 - Many hormones act as neurotransmitters as well as carrying messages to different parts of your body
- 15:10 - “The body does best when it’s nudged, not shoved”
- 16:10 - The steps (in order of severity) to improving hormone balance:
- Changing how you eat, move, think and supplement
- Take proven botanical therapies in the short term
- Bio-identical hormones, in small doses and in the short term
- 18:03 - Addressing root causes is essential to developing robust health
- 19:40 - There are plenty of ways to get your hormones in balance without using bio-identical hormones
- 21:00 - When’s the best time to do a base case for hormone levels?
- 24:00 - How about ageing? What are ideal hormone levels as you get older?
- 25:30 - Everyone’s bodies are adjusted to different levels
- 26:50 - How does sex affect hormone levels?
- 27:50 - Orgasm raises testosterone and reduces cortisol in both men and women
- 29:55 - It also helps to balance the thyroid
- 31:00 - In Daoist philosophy, there is a focus on sexual plateaus rather than sudden climaxes
- 34:00 - Women are used to squeezing a lot of benefit from a small amount of oxytocin
- 34:50 - What foods are good for helping to balance hormones?
- 35:30 - Napa cabbage and crustaceans are great for balancing zinc and copper
- 36:00 - Cutting sugar is one of the best steps you can take to balancing your hormones
- 38:00 - Find more information at The Hormone Cure
FreshBooks – FreshBooks helps you simplify your accounting. Generate invoices automatically, follow up clients, and cut your accounting time to just a few minutes. Get a 30 day free trial by using the code LESSDOING atwww.freshbooks.com/lessdoing
Text DOLESS to 33733 to sign up for the Less Doing Newsletter