Derek Steer – Mode Analytics
In this episode of the Less Doing Podcast, Ari and Nick sit down for a conversation with Derek Steer of Mode Analytics, a collaborative analytics platform built by analysts, for analyst that processes more than 20,000 SQL queries a day to help people around the world make data-informed decisions. Before launching Mode, Derek orchestrated analytics for a number of marquee companies including Facebook, Yammer, and Microsoft. When he’s not working away inside the Mode offices, you can find Derek competing in triathlons, rock climbing, or playing guitar.
“Your analytics tool is only as good as the data you put into it.”
What You’ll Learn
- The data sources Mode uses to generate groundbreaking analytics
- What an analytic-specific database looks like.
- The leading analytic indicator to determine whether or not a client will leave Less Doing.
- How Derek applies Mode to internal data analysis.
- What graduating from Tableau or Looker to Mode looks like.
- Why it’s important to look at different data sources to understand how advertisements are performing.
- How everything is connected from the front-end to the back-end at Mode.
- The upcoming BIG changes happening at Mode.
- The difference between “vanity metrics” and metrics that can lead to meaningful changes.
- How Derek defines productivity by motivation.